Monday, December 3, 2007

upgrade you

gotta love that beyonce jam. the upgrade chain in the mouth is a little nasty, but hey, why can't a girl have a little fun, right?

my boss asked me today what my top three personal goals are for the next two years. she wants to be my fairy boss and grant me three professional wishes (and thereby keep me from running off to grad school/back to the classroom/off to a position that actually pays). that, of course, made me think. what are my top three personal/professional goals for the next two years? what would i really like to accomplish?

  1. publishing something would be nice, i think. a book with my name on it, and learning how to do some press for such a book would be ideal.
  2. honing my management skills, and adding a major management project to my resume. not sure what the project would be, but i really want something that proves that i know how to manage people and not just information.
  3. #3 is up in the air, folks, and baffling me just a little. any suggestions?
gift for the 4th (i open them before i go to bed because i am a 5 year old in a mid-twenties, quickly widening body ;)): two pairs of socks. cute. striped. but still not an ipod. :(

1 comment:

kameelah said...

below is something that may help you with your publishing goal.

peas&blessings,
kameelah
----------

Call for Papers: Imagining the black female body:
Text and Contexts in literature and culture


Only the BLACK WOMAN can say "when and where I enter, in the quiet,
undisputed dignity of my womanhood, without violence and without suing
or special patronage, then and there the whole...race enters with me."
--Anna Julia Cooper, 1892



Hortense Spillers said it best when she proclaimed:

Let's face it. I am a marked woman, but not everybody knows my name.
'Peaches,' and 'Brown Sugar,' 'Sapphire' and 'Earth Mother,' 'Aunty,' 'Granny,'
....or 'Black Woman at the Podium.' I describe a locus
of confounded identities, a meeting ground of investments and privations in
the national treasury of rhetorical wealth. My country needs me, and if
I were not here, I would have to be invented.



Spillers' posturing points to the complex and delicate challenges black
women encounter in the minefield of mental, spiritual, and cultural
"codings" that, as Spillers stresses, create markers of identity so
loaded with mythical prepossession that there is "no easy way for the
agents buried beneath to come clean."

But what is it about black women's identity that makes them
marked women? What is it about their presence-their essence-that makes
them a threat in some social circles? Much of this uneasiness can be
traced to the tension that exists between the real and imagined
properties of black womanhood that circulate in America's Grammar book
(borrowing from Hortense Spillers). This book, a virtual roadmap of the
history that has created and sustained the false imaginings of a culture
bent on promoting whiteness and its privileges, distorts the ideal of
black womanhood.

What this volume proposes to do is explore the various
"imaginings" of the black female body in print and visual culture,
sports, America's iconic landscape (i.e. the mammy figure and the video
vixen), politics, and law. Contributors can also write on literature,
science, music, photography, or the fashion industry. Papers should
discuss not only how this black female body is framed, but also how
black women (and their allies) have sought to write/rite themselves back
into these social discourses on their terms. It is my hope that this
volume will create a dialogue with other outstanding volumes on the
black female body.

If you are interested in being a part of this book, please forward to me
an abstract by January 15, 2008. Entire papers will be due by September
1, 2008. You can send your abstract via email to ceh@udel.edu. Or you
may send your abstract by landmail to:

D r. Carol E. Henderson
Associate Professor of English and Black American Studies
212 Memorial Hall
University of Delaware