Thursday, November 8, 2007

mani-pedis, scarves, and stanford law boys

this week has been interesting. good, busy, tiring, overwhelming, and...not over...

it's only thursday, and i'm already reflecting, which shows you how crazy a week it's been (being).

i'm back in the big apple, and winter seems to have arrived all of a sudden. i went from being warm last week to having to pull out all of the layers this week and start to try to remind myself of how to pull a warm-weather outfit together. my preliminary attempts are always unvariably preppy-- today i'm wearing a gray wool sweater over an oxford. i look like i'm back in high school, fulfilling dress code. :/ the boy that i met on monday didn't help-- a bit of a stuffy lawyer type, i almost felt self-conscious for being so "casual." then, last night, did a meetup with other young black professional women from the five boroughs, and out of 6, 4 were singers/songwriters/actors/filmmakers, and one was a moneyed accountant at morgan stanley. joy-- poor, non-profit-working, trying-to-make-the-world-a-better-place young black woman that she is-- stuck out a little like a sore thumb at first. things got better, but it has definitely been a week of remembering the breadth of this big, wide world.

it's amazing, in a place like new york, how many different "yous" you can be. i can be grungy me, i can be southern/caribbean me, i can be intellectual me, i can be sexy me, i can be political me, i can be apolitical me, i can be recovering baptist me-- not all in the same place or at the same time, necessarily, but there are places for all of those parts.

the rest of this week brings more mind-expansion: a play tonight at the public (apparently my favorite theater), seeing an old coworker tomorrow, and then cooking and baking and sangria-ing up a storm for a little housewarming on saturday. then maybe kara walker @ the whitney on sunday, if i can swing it.


ha. you wouldn't know i was at work right now, would ya?

2 comments:

sonj said...

excuse miss "i can't hang like you." who's out being a social butterfly now? we are really moving in opposite directions right now - as i suddenly have no time, you're all over the place...

also, you're wearing an oxford. is that a stand-alone word now? as opposed to, say, an oxford shirt? i'm gonna have to ask you to step away from the jcrew catalog joy...

havestrength said...

oh my god, jcrew is having a sale!

oh, and you and terry are evil. you had me laughing at my own date! who is even skinnier naked, btw...